09 March 2009

Saying adieu to the land of the quadrupeds

Desmond is a walker.

Late to the party, my boy finally decided over the weekend that enough was enough. He teased us for several weeks, standing up on his own and taking the occasional clunky step, but resorting to plopping back onto his butt and shuffling off to Crawl Town.

Now he's a pro. Less than twenty-four hours after stringing together multiple steps, he's discovered that he is so much quicker when he stays upright. Clomp clomp clomp. When I'm in the basement and he's on the first floor, it sounds like he is riding a horse. Clomp clomp clomp. Overnight, his feet have transformed from sponges to anvils.

I can't help but laugh at the moments when he takes one step too many and hits the deck. Down goes Desmond! It's just so funny to see him inching along on his own one second, and sitting on his keister the next with a "what the heck just happened?" look on his face. He hasn't hurt himself-yet. I know it's coming. Boom!

(OK, in the course of writing this I've seen the Subway commercial where the "Five dollar foot-long" musical breaks out when the guy can't decide what to order. This is the most obnoxious thing I've seen on TV in a long, long time. Please stop it.)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dad used to find my toddling falls hysterical until the first time I really got hurt. Then he felt(or so he said years later, and seemed to have a point by point memory of it)like the worst Daddy in the world because he'd "let" me fall.
But that is life. And you get to be there for it, step by step, by opps ;-0. Enjoy. ~Mary

Beth said...

Congrats to Desmond on becoming a biped! :)

Beth

P.S. My word verification is "antomoot." That might be the coolest word ever.