02 March 2007

Random 11

(Take two. Somehow I managed to obliterate the first one)

Five entries in a week? Who am I and what have I done with me?

This is a blatant rip-off from here. His blog is hysterical.

1. "Signs of Love"-Moby. Seems like there's no in between with Moby. Everyone I know either loves him or hates him. I guess you know which side I fall on. Contrary to popular belief, it is not because he looks like my brother.

2. "On Your Shore"-Enya. Goin' a little but mellow tonight. Enya tends to calm me down, which has been a big help on the CTA Blue Line lately. How Chicago can be considered a world-class city when it has a Pony Express-like transit system is beyond me. Have fun with those Olympics y'all! MEOW!!!

3. "Come Monday"-Jimmy Buffet. More mellowness. I may be asleep by # 6. This is one of those songs that I heard a thousand times without knowing who the artist was and then being blown away when I found out who. This sounds like nothing else Buffet has ever done.

4. "7 Chinese Brothers"-REM. The only thing I can get from this is that they all drown in the ocean at the end. The last stanza has "Communist" in it, and I don't know why.

5. "Again"-Lenny Kravitz. I have a theory that this song is about Kravitz and that he is singing it to himself. Listen to the lyrics and tell me that I'm wrong. Or just take my word for it.

6. "Saving My Heart"-Yes. In the first version of this number one was a song called "Wondrous Stories" which triggered a long rant about how Yes is one of the more under-rated groups that came from the 70s. They are not under-rated when one considers their 90s stuff.

7. "Crystal Wrists"-Peter Murphy. I really, really, really, really like this song. I really, really, really, really, don't know why. Maybe it's because he talks about chewing his cheeks.

8."Lithium"-Nirvana. "YEEEEAAAAHHHHH! YEEEEAAAAHHHH YEAH!" I remember coming across my nephew screaming this song when he was 15 or so and thinking "here it comes!"

9. "High Fidelity"-Elvis Costello. This was the best song ever to be used at the end of an episode of "The Sopranos."

10. "Jacksons, Monk, and Rowe"-Elvis Costello and the Brodsky Quartet. I think it's about a law firm that handles divorce. His voice sounds surprisingly good accompanied by a string quartet. You know, in case you were saying to yourself "I wonder how Elvis Costello's voice sounds with a string quartet." You have your answer.

11. "Cherry Bomb"-John Cougar Sellin'camp. I keep forgetting that I have promised to purge all Sellin'camp from my 'pod in the wake of those ridiculous "this is our country" commercials he did for Chevrolet. I recall a young punk ditching the "Cougar" from his name and vowing that he'd never do music for commercials and ripping anybody who even thought about it. Argh.

David Caruso has to wait. Damn.

 

No comments: