19 June 2005

Why I'm fairly certain I will never grow up


Interesting that I would follow a post about the prospects of fatherhood with something like this, but I gotta be me.

I'm 38, and although I see it when I look in the mirror, I definitely do not feel it from a mental stand point.  I suppose there isn't a manual that could tell me how someone my age is supposed to think, but if I had to put a number on what my mental age is, I'd say it's around 20.

Case in point: from time to time I battle insomnia.  I absolutely hate lying in bed waiting for sleep to come, so if I cannot sleep, I have to get up and do something else.  Sometimes that something else involves watching television.  Last month, I discovered something on television in the middle of the night that has set my mental age back a year or so:

The Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  Check out the link.  This is the song that starts each episode:

My name is Shake-Zula, the mic rulah,
the old schoolah, you wanna trip, I'll break it to ya.
Frylock and I'm on top rock you like a cop,
Meatwad you're up next with your knock-knock.
Meatwad make the money see,
Meatwad get the honeys G.
Drivin in my car, livin like a star,
ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a Taurus.
Cause we are the Aqua Teens,
make the homeys say ho
and the girlies wanna scream."


If you have no idea what that is, I may not be able to describe it to you.  However, if you've seen it and don't agree with me that it is one of the funniest cartoons ever produced, there may be something wrong with you.  Or maybe it's me.

How has this show affected me recently?  Let me count the ways...

1. I changed the name of one of my fantasy baseball teams to "Shake-zula."

2. We are thinking about getting another cat.  If we do, I want to name it "Meatwad."

3. I bought the first release DVD of this cartoon.  And I NEVER buy DVDs.

4. I have watched every episode on said DVD set.  Twice.

5. I have "googled" every episode summary.

6. I have been kept awake at night by the show's theme song running continuously through my head.

7. I have laughed hard enough at this show that I can feel myself starting to pass out, and I've kept on laughing.

8. I have decided that I could never, ever buy a "Happy Meal" again.

The face may say 38.  The mind says something much, much less.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came to the conclusion quite a while ago that deep inside us all is our young self ever fresh and innocent enough to enjoy Shake-zula - no, I've never seen it -and/or Sponge Bob, Square Pants.  I stilll laugh at The Road Runner et al. and I will never see 38 again.

Anonymous said...

I'm 38 (almost 39) and that show cracks me up too. It's so wrong, but so funny. I'm also a big "Family Guy" fan, and "The Simpsons" is required viewing here:)

Anonymous said...

PS: Just looking at Frylock is enough to crack me up.

Anonymous said...

"Meatwad get the honeys G." Do this mean whut I think it mean? Honeymoon be over, Meatwad...leave that G-spot be fo' while.

Anonymous said...

if this be the space for unsolicited testimonials...
I purchased South Park.  
And while I have not seen ATHF, I have seen Sealab 2021 and have enjoyed it thoroughly.  AND it features the voice of Erik Estrada.