19 January 2005

The Big Day

TOMORROW'S THE BIG DAY!!!

You may think that I am referring to Inauguration Day as "The Big Day."  Not really.  I'm not particularly excited about that.  No, tomorrow is, in fact, what I'd like to call:

JIM-HOG DAY

Tomorrow is the day I come out of my hole in the ground and look East towards DC.  If I see shadows of arrogance, lies and other assorted BS, then we'll have four more years of cynicism.

Early line?  Bet on it, folks!

I've been so low key on politics since the election that I've had to check my pulse several times.  I've let a lot of things slide since November 2.  Originally I vowed to take a month long break immediately after the election, but I never got my mojo back once December came 'round.  I just didn't have the heart to comment on anything mildly political.

You can just imagine what I might have said about:

-The Dept. of Education spending $240,000 in taxpayer money to have a political columnist rave about the No Child Left Behind Act.

-The GOP leaders in Congress changing the rules so that any member under indictment WOULD NOT have to resign, just in time for the pending indictment of Tom DeLay.

-The appointment of Condoleeza "I have the hairstyle of Lucy from the 'Peanuts' comic strip" Rice as the next Sec. of State.

-And my all time favorite, the announcement that the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq had "ended," with the smaller resulting line of "there were none..."

So many missed opportunities...

I have no regrets, though.  I needed the break.  As I said immediately after the election, I have no intention of genuflecting in the direction of W, and I hope to high heaven that the democratic "leaders" in Congress don't either.  The gloves went on for a while after November 2. 

'Tis time they came off.

Ciao.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would imagine that when you stick your nose out of the ground, you'll need to burrow back in for another 4 years... :-(  Albert

Anonymous said...

Boy, do I agree with you on this subject!  Personally, I believe NO ONE should be allowed to run for re-election, government service should be like military service, EVERYBODY takes a turn, then goes back to EARNING a living!  No pensions, no perks, no cozy lobbying job!  Don't get me started...Bruce