02 January 2005

New year, old philosophy

So it is that another year has come to pass.  And I am sitting in a meadow with my one true love.  She reads to me as the clouds filter over us and sweet drops of sunlight bathe our souls in heather...

Sorry, once I wrote that first sentence I thought I was writing a pastoral poem.  Forgive me.

So 2005 is here.  Each time I find myself looking at a calendar that says "January 1" I inevitably ask myself how one year could go by so quickly.  2004 went faster than any previous year of my life.  It wasn't a bad year.  It was rather good, actually.  I didn't break any bones, my car is still running, and I wasn't arrested in a case of mistaken identity.

When I was a kid, I always thought about the year 2000 because it represented something, a different time, the future.  When I was ten thinking about what it would be in 2000, all I knew was that I would be an adult.  I had no idea what I would be doing.

We are four full years past 2000 now.  I don't really think about the future in a way that I did twenty years ao.  Now that it is 2005, I have become the sort of person who lives life one year at a time.  I have plans, of course, that extend past this year, but I have no definite time table of which to accomplish things.

It's odd to feel this way, to know that the years are passing, that I am getting older, that my time on Earth is growing shorter.  I can hear it in the background...tick...tick...tick...tick...

All I want to do in 2005 is make it to 2006. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One minute, one hour, one day, and one year! Step by step day by day! That is life unfortunately!