25 January 2004

On the road again

I'm currenty in Houston, visiting my best friend from college.  I left Tuesday morning from Chicago and drove here, stopping in Kansas City, Oklahoma City and Austin on the way.  Feel bad that I haven't had a chance to update this since Monday and feel the urge to get caught up all in one sitting. 

For me, there is nothing quite like the feeling of getting into my car and driving to places that I have never been to before.  As long as time is not an issue, it is my preferred method of travel.  Since the fall of 2002 I have driven over 30,000 miles through the U.S. visiting cities and places for the first time.  Except for the occassional visit with relatives and friends, and one pilgrimage to Boston to see the Red Sox play at Fenway, I've done it all alone.  And what a time it has been.  I feel like the luckiest man alive for I know that this truly has been a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I've created a lifetime of memories for myself in a little less than a year and a half at an age where most people are focusing on their career and their family.  The travel opportunities usually come later in life, after retirement and an empty nest.  I seem to be doing things in reverse.  At least I hope I am.

No comments: