03 May 2004

Mission accomplished

No banner necessary...

I just finished watching the Cubs beat the Cardinals 7-3, thereby achieving a split of the four game series in St. Louis.  I could get greedy and complain about how they should have swept, since they lost 1-0 Sunday and 4-3 Friday, but as I recall before it began all I asked for was a split, and that's what I got. 

I think I saw maybe half of the action from the games, which is fine with me.  I can't watch every moment of every game, unless I am there in person, or it's the playoffs.  And the playoffs are brutal, no matter how well they happen to go, because I feel this ridiculous intensity on each and every pitch.

When I was a kid, I was a big Bears fan, and I noticed that my interest in them waned when they won a Super Bowl in 1986.  Today, almost 20 years later, I suppose I want them to win, but it truly does not matter to me.  I feel the same way about the Bulls.  It's hard to get upset about their losing ways when you can fall back on the memory of six world titles.

So if the Cubs finally win it all one day, will I become as nonplussed about them as the rest of Chicago teams that have won a title in my lifetime?  I don't know; I can't possibly be as intense as I am when I am still longing for a championship, I'd think, but I will always be a huge fan.

 

No comments: