18 May 2004

So much "right"eous anger

With the news yesterday of same-sex marriages being performed legally in Massachussettes, I'm noticing a healthy dose of outrage coming from the right. 

I've made my opinions clear on this before: I couldn't care less who marries who, it has no bearing on my faith, beliefs or life.  Everyone on this Earth deserves to be happy, and as long as the do not break the law and/or hurt others while doing it, and if a man feels happiest marrying another man, or a woman marries a woman, more power to them.  I was at LAX Friday night waiting for a friend to pick me up and I happened to notice two gentleman walk past me, holding hands, and talking about their impending flight to Australia.  They looked as happy as any couple I have ever seen, and obviously in love.  I felt happy for them.  Even if I did disagree with their relationship, who am I to publicly object?

I'm amazed by some of the photos I have seen, and by some of what I have read in the papers and on other AOL journals (John Scalzi put out a list of a nice mix of opinions today, which I have to say is the inspiration for this entry).  There's so much anger out there.  I was especially stunned by the journal that is entitled "the defense of marriage" yet the most recent entry shows photos of people jumping from the WTC on 9/11.  I'm not saying that those pictures need to be hidden, but what does that have to do with marriage? 

Of course I am labeling here, but it seems to me that no one who is opposed to same-sex marriages can express their opinions on it without coming off either as a blowhard (no pun intended...ha ha ha) or a pompous holier-than-thou, and I've been searching for a while.

While I am on the issue of things in the social/political realm that are perplexing me, could someone please remind the Catholic Church that they are a tax-exempt group and therefore should stay out of politics?  And maybe show them the part of the Constitution that talks about the separation of Church and State?  There have been several stories about how some clergy members feel that democratic politicians should not be receiving communion because they support abortion rights. 

OK, far enough.  I would like to know how many priests guilty of molestation recused themselves form receiving and administiring communion while they were "supporting" their heinous acts.

The point is, such a statement is an obvious endorsement of conservative politicians, and in their poistion, it is wrong.  I understand how the Church feels about abortion, however, because of the level of support it receives in the form of not paying taxes, they should avoid further involving themselves in political matters.

There is a Catholic Church in my hometown that I will never attend again because of something they did a few years ago during the election season.  They placed hundreds of tiny crossed on their front lawn, as they had in the past, to make a statement about the rate of abortion in this country.  I support their right to make such a statement, and the placement of crosses is not what led me to decide to not attend this particular church again.  Where they crossed the line from church into state in my opinion was by placing a large sign visible by every passing car that said in bold capital letters "VOTE AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT."

I took that sign as a blatant endorsement of all Republican candidates, and I feel that the Church does not belong in that arena.  I realize that by nature the church is conservative, but I felt this was a bit much.  There are other Catholic churches in this area that did not participate in such an extreme endorsement, and while I realize there position was also pro-life, they chose not to subject the entire public to that type of demonstration.

I am unapologetically liberal when it comes to social issues.  Personally, I am tiring of the rhetoric from the conservative groups of this country that tell me that we are a less moral society, that it is our fault that this is happening, and that those in the world who wish to hurt us point to these factors as their basis for commiting acts of terror. 

Our biggest problem in this nation is polarization, the fact that so many of us cling to one idea and do not accept that not everyone agrees with them, that those who disagree are capable of rational thought, that they are wrong.  Change for the best of everyone involved only happens through positive discourse that finds a way to aid everyone, all citizens of this country, no matter what you believe, no matter who you choose to marry.

No comments: