16 April 2005

When an equine's gotta go, it's gotta go


There's got to be a word or phrase to describe the act of completely screwing up a song lyric.  I am reminded of this because I heard a song Friday that I hadn't heard in a long, long time.  And when you look up the index of my life, under "most blatantly misjudged lyric," this song appears.

When I was in high school I was a big fan of The Police (still am).  On the 1980 album "Zenyatta Mondatta" (and I'm sure Sting and the boys were not under the influence of any hallucinogens when they came up with that title) is a song called "Voices Inside My Head" which isn't much of a song, really.  After a funky instrumental intro, all you hear is Sting wail "Voi-cccccccc-eeee-sssssss inside my hea-dddddddd, ech-ooooooooooo things that you sai-dddddddd" over and over for three minutes or so.  There's a little distortion in the background and Sting had a tendency to slur a little back then, so it's not the easiest thing to decipher, unless one had bothered to actually read the titles of the songs on the album before listening to it, but that's another matter.

Anyway, hearing this song Friday reminded me that, for the first, oh, fifteen times maybe that I heard this song back when I was a misguided teen, I thought Sting and the boys were singing about something else.

Like horses.

Doing something related to bladder relief.

On my head.

Go, listen to it now, and tell me that is not what you hear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! For years I couldn't understand why Manfred Mann sang "Blinded by the light/Wrapped up like a *douche*/Another runner in the night" :)