08 February 2005

Here we go

I just finished the last can of Diet Pepsi that was in the fridge.  If all goes according to plan, those precious last sips were the last I will have of any soda until Easter.  Mainly, I am trying to avoid caffeine, but I think just giving up soda with caffeine defeats the purpose.  Thus, no soda at all until after Easter.

40 days away.

Ugh.

For the last few decades, when it has come time to observe the Catholic rite of giving up something for Lent, I have given up giving things up.  Accordingly, I have been very, very successful, and just a tad silly about the whole thing.  I may be the only person who ever lived with negative will power, so I knew that to try to give up something was nonsense.  I would last a minute, maybe.

Ah, but this year is different.  This year I happen to be getting married and as fate has allowed it will be to another Catholic.  In true fashion, I feel the need to prove to myself that I can go without something of significance for a while.  I'd feel somewhat of a hypocrite if I did not observe the demands of the faith and then get married in it.

You may find it silly that I would equate soda with the phrase "something of significance."  Obviously, you know nothing of me.

I drink a lot of it, mostly diet, so I lead myself to believe that I am not ingesting needless calories.  Needless chemicals, yes, but at least I'm not contributing to my weight.  Or am I?  There are several trains of thought here, as I have read items that say that diet soda does not keep you from gaining weight, and those that say that while it does not lead to weight gain, it may lead to craving food more so than normal.

Well, I'm five foot nine, and I weigh about 225.  Houston, we have a problem.

If all goes as planned, for the next forty days whenever I would normally reach for a soda I will reach for a water bottle instead.  I will still have the occasional glass of coffee or tea, as I will not be able to function with absolutely no caffeine over Lent.  I may be bold, but I am not insane.

Of course, should I be successful at this and avoid soda for Lent, it would seem foolish to fall back into old habits once Easter arrives.  There's no reason why I can't adjust to this.  I've done it before.  A few years ago I gave up soda for almost two months, just for the heck of it, and dropped about fifteen pounds during that time, concentrating on other aspects of my health as well.

That's what I hope to accomplish here.

I'm not getting any younger.  I may only be 37 but there are days where I feel twice that age.  My flexibility is terrible, and my back hurts, probably from the extra weight that hangs off the front of me.  My kids haven't been born yet.  At the rate I am going, I will need a walker to walk with them when they start moving.

Mentally I feel about 21.  Funny, but it's been that way for about seventeen years.

I want to be around for a while.  My life has changed so much in the last few years, with so many good things happening.  Some are the result of choice and hard work, others are just the result of fate. 

I'm lucky that lately, when I make up my mind to do something, I have been able to do it.  So why not this?

Still, I may be a pain to be around for a while.  I know I tend to write better things when I am irritable, but if you see me on the street, you might want to make sure you are walking on the other side.

Especially if you happen to have a Big Gulp on you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, I just chugged down a 20 oz. coke. Was it good. I plan on returning the carbonation part to the atmosphere starting right...now.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the soda abstinence.  You might find a huge difference just removing it from your system.  Hope so.

But you're right -- no caffeine?  Insane.  ;o)

~~ jennifer