13 May 2005

Settle down people!

I just finished reading on article on AOL news about how the Muslim world is in an uproar over an alleged desecration of the Koran by American interrogators at Guantanamo Bay.

In some places, people are rioting over this.  And in those riots, some people have died.

OK.

I'm all for expressing oneself for the sake of religion, but I'm wondering what exactly is going on here.  First, there's no proof that anything happened other than someone placing a Koran on top of a toilet.  Maybe that isn't the best place for it, but, c'mon.

Here's a couple of quotes from the article:

"Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, said it was following the issue with "deep indignation."

Spare me, House of Saud.  I will care about your "deep indignation" when you acknowledge and, more importantly, apologize for the fact that 15 of the 19 September 11 hijackers were natives of your country.

"Demonstrations serve no purpose, we should do something practical. I am ready to blow myself up for the sake of my religion to embrace martyrdom," said Mohammad Ghafoor, 18, a student protesting in Peshawar, Pakistan.

Amen, Ghaffie.  Demonstrations serve absolutely no purpose, because it's not like demonstrating would make a 37 year old white male in the Midwest of America pay attention to this story, for example.  Blowing yourself up is "practical"?  You make it sound like bringing a sweater on a night out because there might be a chilly breeze.  I can only imagine how many open boxes of baking soda there are in your fridge.

Newsweek, in its May 9 edition, quoted sources as saying that investigators probing abuses at the military prison had found that interrogators "had placed Korans on toilets, and in at least one case flushed a holy book down the toilet."

Um, isn't "Newsweek" an American magazine?  Wouldn't a smart editor or two proof this story and wonder if it really was doing any good to have this out there as public knowledge?  I'm not preaching censorship here, just common sense.

Seems like anytime the fuse goes out, somebody's more than happy to light it up again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop the world!  I wanna get off!  sheila

Anonymous said...

If Newsweek learned it happened, they have to report it. I could've sworn I've seen American icons burned in the Middle East, but I don't think I'll blow myself up over it.

Anonymous said...

Oy vey...I am not sure how this makes me feel right yet.   On one hand, I think the media coverage over this incident is by & large using it as some sort of metaphor (though I also deeply believe the art of metaphor is typically lost on the media!) to demonstrate the lack of respect "Americans" supposedly have for other cultures.   Those who oppose the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq will quickly assert that the Koran-burning just proves how arrogant America is, and how it is  reflective of the arrogance and ignorance of their leader, etc.   On another level, the (over) reaction of Muslim protestors is likely directed toward showing the adament desire they have to be rid of American military presence from their homelands.  I am not saying I agree or disagree with any of this...just offering my interpretation.  

I guess what really bothers me about the whole ordeal is this fanatical feel to it all.  Religious extremists in all countries, including the US,  seem to be getting a lot of time in the spotlight these days.   What kind of message is that really projecting?  Tune in to your local cable news network for more.... ;)

Take care,
Rosemarie
http://righteousbabe.blog-city.com/