24 October 2004

Weekend assignment

Haven't done one of these in a while...

I can't say that there are too many TV shows that I miss.  I tend to be an impatient watcher.  I'll give a show a season or two, then get bored with it and move on.  An example of this would be "Third Rock from the Sun."  I thought that was a brilliant show for the first two years, then it sunk faster than John Goodman in a kiddie pool.  Even if I stick around and watch a show until its demise, I am normally not unhappy to see it go (hello, "NYPD Blue").

However, and I know this is going to be weird, there's one show that I watched every episode of and was sad when it went off the air: "Anything but Love."  First, it starred Jamie Lee Curtis ('nuff said) and Richard Lewis, before he became a complete parody of himself.  Second, the show was hysterical.  I laughed every episode.  Lord, sometimes I'd even sit through "Doogie Howser MD" before it came on.

My favorite character on the show was the magazine editor played by Ann Magnuson.  She had some great lines.  The best episode was when they went to dinner to celebrate a friend's "Un-anniversary" and burned the restaurant down.  Each character had a different version of how it happened, and the Italian chef's explanation (done in Italian, like a Fellini movie) killed me.

Obscure?  Absolutely, which is why I still miss it today.

As for what game show I would like to be on, that would be "Jeopardy."  I actually had a try out for this show back when I was in college but did not get past the first round (sample question-what state borders two oceans?  I said Texas.  Back in those days I got a little nervous under pressure).  I am suffering through the Ken Jennings saga because that should be me instead.  That little runt is going to ruin it for the rest of us and make them go back to a limit of winning five games.

No comments: