13 February 2004

I really don't want to do this

It's only mid-February.  The election is still 8 1/2 months away.  There's still a ton of time for the issues to be addressed, minds to be made up, and votes to be cast.

There were two primaries this week.  Do you know where they were?  Did you hear anything about them?  Of course not, because instead we have been bombarded with National Guard pay stubs, pictures of Jane Fonda, dental records, and rumors of more democratic infidelity.

I like to think of myself as a calm individual.  However, if you indulge me, I'd like to say something to the spin doctors of both parties:

I WAS BORN IN 1967.  THIRTY YEARS OR SO AGO MY MAIN CONCERNS WERE GETTING HOME IN TIME FROM SCHOOL TO WATCH THE LAST INNING OR SO OF THE CUBS GAME, TRYING TO AVOID EATING BRUSSELS SPROUTS, AND READING COMIC BOOKS.  DO YOU CARE?  I DIDN'T THINK SO.  GUESS WHAT?  I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT ANY CANDIDATE WAS DOING THIRTY YEARS AGO AS WELL.  IT'S NOT RELEVANT.  TELL ME WHAT YOUR BOY IS GOING TO DO WITH THE FUTURE, THAT'S ALL I CARE ABOUT.  STOP INSULTING MY INTELLIGENCE BY ASSUMING THAT I CARE THAT THE PRESIDENT DID NOT WANT TO GO TO VIETNAM, OR THAT JOHN KERRY THOUGHT THE WAR WAS WRONG AFTER HE CAME HOME EARLY BECAUSE HE WAS WOUNDED THREE TIMES.  I DON'T CARE.  WHAT I CARE ABOUT ARE THE CHOICES THAT WILL NEED TO BE MADE IN THE NEXT FOUR YEARS.  TELL ME WHY I SHOULD VOTE FOR YOUR GUY INSTEAD OF TELLING ME WHY I SHOULDN'T VOTE FOR HIS OPPONENT.

There.  I feel better.  Sorry to yell, but sometimes it's all you can do.  Can't promise that I won't do it again.

No comments: