03 February 2004

What did you expect?

I had a ten hour drive today from Albuquerque to Tulsa.  Despite my earlier post promising to stop listening to conservative talk radio, I found myself unable to avoid it today.  Of course, the big story was the half-time show of the Super Bowl and the baring of half of Janet Jackson's bossom (one s?  If I'm only talking about half of it do I leave out one s?).  Outrage, outrage, outrage!  There was enough hot air coming out of my radio today to pop a lot of popcorn.

The best thing I heard today, as far as humor quality, was the assertion by Sean Hannity that the entire half-time show was basically a training video for Al Qaeda.  "This is why they hate us..." blah blah blah.  Hysterical.  My ribs hurt from laughing so much.  Of course, St. Hannity was being completely serious.

I didn't see the half-time spectacle.  In fact, I haven't seen a Super Bowl half-time show for as long as I can remember.  I also can't remember the last time I watched any "concert" performance affiliated with a sporting event.  I believe the NBA and NHL have musical performances at their All-Star games, and I know that the NFL has done it for other games besides the Super Bowl.  And I haven't watched any type of music award show for at least a decade.  I don't watch this stuff because I don't care for it.  Call me old and crotchety, but I find the excessive marketing of sex and thuggery in pop music disconcerting.

Alas,  I choose not to preach about it (though I guess I just did).  For everyone who is outraged about yesterday, what did you expect?  Of course it was over the top, it's called marketing.  Here's an idea, watch the game, turn to something else at the half, and then watch the rest of the game.

I'd like to apologize for any potential misspellings in this entry as a "blog malfunction."  Finally, if I may paraphrase OutKast:

I'm sorry Ms. Jackson, for ever doubting they're real.

(That one was for you, Brian!)

No comments: